[3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 27 11:29:35 EST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 1005  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 51  Total Score = 315,252

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Bottom line, objectives acheived, but 1000 Q's is only a bit player role this
year. I knew I was toast after a bad night's sleep Thursday. And speaking of
Thursday, 160 condx were abosultely one of the best nights ever that night.
UA9MA was Q5, SM4CAN was S9+15-20 db, and UA3's were working W7 easily. Things
seemed pretty much average to me the 2nd night and were good the first night,
but Eu was too busy working Eu to S&P them the first few hours when condx were
best. I tried to run high in the band above 1850 at the start taking N2NT's
advice and it was wall to wall Eu running Eu from 1850-1860 without much
activity above that. The second night, I tried around 1845 kHz which was clear
around 2245Z, but went 5 minutes without any answers from anyone. Running lower
seemed to be much better for me. I stopped ridiculousy early around 03Z both
nights. Saturday during the day was pretty busy which led to a case of "why
push myself when I know I won't make the top ten"; watching the figure skating
championships was more enjoyable. My hat is off to all of you who stayed up all
or most of night; there were some great scores and I guess the best condx ever
in the contest, but it was unfortunate the Thursday condx didn't quite reoccur
Friday. I felt good Monday morning which I wouldn't have
if I had operated into the night and still made a personal best in Q's/mults.

I seemed to do fine in the pile-ups this time around, but I'm not quite loud
enough to get a real Eu run going. Best S&P catch was probably TF3CW who was
weak and lonely Saturday PM. The 6W was a new country, thanks! I also found
KL7RA at 1314Z about 55 minues past sunrise. Condx to the west especially
Friday were good when the other end was in broad daylight. Sunset here was
about 2225Z and I was called by NI5T in NM at 2327Z, AA7A AZ 2330Z, VE5UF
2340Z, and VE7IG 2341Z! They were all no struggle to copy, VE7IG was around
S7.
LY2IJ gets the good ears award, hearing me at 2144Z; the next Eu was around
2215Z. Also, VY2SS called me at 1330Z about 2 hours past his SR and over 1 hour
past mine. I had about 993 Q's around 1340Z Sunday when I had had enough;
surprisingly, I ran a dozen more around 10AM local all the way to 2 in FL. A
few hours were over 100 Q's; the worse than expected time was 2140Z-2330Z on
Saturday, but later the callers started rolling in. One well known DX'er with
the PU suffix, plopped zero beat onto my 2-1/2 hour old run frequency and
wouldn't move; he has done the same before to others. The suffix says it all,
pretty shameful. I worked pretty hard to not make Eu wait, sending a QRZ DX
whwenver I heard a weak one under the loud callers; thanks for your patience
and points. I had 79 10 point Q's with 32 in zone 14, 27 in 15, 7 each in 16
and 08. Highest Q totals stateside were OH 59, VA 50, NY 48, PA 45, VE3 43, TX
38, NC 38, and IL 37.

73, Jeff