[3830] CQ160 CW AC6DD Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jan 29 21:13:04 EST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AC6DD
Operator(s): AC6DD
Station: AC6DD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:

Total:  QSOs = 860  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 59  Total Score = 409,851

Club: Slovenia Contest Club

Comments:

This was yet another portable contest operation.  I tried my best, but as always
there are so many variables in going on a field day style operation.

This was the second year for me operating from the Piedras Blancas Lighthouse.
Due to a chronic lack of free time I have not solved any of the noise issues
related to my other site at the Ocean Pier. I was hardly active on 160 this
winter, made only a few QSO in the ARRL test, I entirely missed participaring
in the TBDC by remote, when a telephone cable went out for 3 weeks. The power
went out to this same place two years ago in the middle of the CQ160.  The
infrastructure in this area is third world grade.

Again the weather was not cooperating, not as bad as last year, or the year
before, but whenever you have to set things up in the rain it is not very
pleasant, and needles to say it, it takes much longer. For a plus - it was not
very cold.

New for this year was the K3. I initially wasted two days on a two radio setup
with the K3 and the MP and an ACOM 2S1.  I had problems with inhibiting the K3
transmit and after trying for hours with different combintaions I found a
broken ground fault in the ACOM 2S1.
Same with trying to get the DX doubler working on a computer with no parallel
port with a so2rxlat box. All wasted time, I decided to use an older computer
with a parallel port instead, and in the end I only used one radio anyway.

The K3 receiver is great, easy to use, not so the setup - a lot of stuff there,
the radio has some strange quirks too. Anyhow I am glad I got this radio. I have
the 500 Hz filters, but I wish now I had the 200 Hz filters too - coming next.
I was using the 100 Hz bandwith a lot trying to sneak in between loud
stations.

The conditions to EU were just incredible.  The NE was also my quietest receive
direction, and the results show it - 52 EU stations in the log, in between them
six S5 stations - big ears in Slovenia!
I am a little dissapointed in the JA total. At 111 is better than last year,
but not great.  The storm made this direction very hard on the first night, it
was magnitudes better after the storm cleared the next evening.

In short, it was great!

Rig: K3
Amp: ACOM2000A
TX Ant: Lighthouse Vertical, bunch of short radials, some longer ones.
RX Ant: DXE RX4S
Log: TR4W

I am working on bit more detail and few pictures here:

http://www.ac6dd.com/2009/cq160cw/2009_cq160_cw.htm

73,

Niko - AC6DD

ac6ddyahoocom