[3830] IARU N2IC SO CW HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 12 13:18:46 PDT 2009

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N2IC
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: New Mexico

  160:    22            7        2
   80:   117           15       13
   40:   595           30       34
   20:  1054           38       50
   15:   347           20       28
   10:    15            5        1
-------------------------------------
Total:  2150    0     115      128  Total Score = 1,723,842

It was great to have sunny, hot weather, and not have to worry about unscheduled
breaks for thunderstorms. Of course, I had to listen to everyone else's
thunderstorms on 20, 40, 80 and 160. The ham shack was hot (no A/C), but that
was a small price to pay.

Despite having no sunspots (again !), conditions were reminiscent of the old
days of sunspots. The low bands were poor here, compared to last year. Signals
were generally weak, and, of course, buried in static crashes. Only worked four
JA's on 80, and nothing else heard from the far east. 40 was all S&P to Europe,
due to the static and weak signals. Overall, the low bands were down by 263
QSO's from last year.

On the other hand, the over-the-pole nighttime opening on 20 was the best I
have heard since the sunspot peak, extending from UA0 all the way across to
eastern Europe, before closing around 05Z. Actually, it never really shut down
- some UA9's were S9+ all night. 15 was hit-and-miss, with a fair number of big
gun Europeans worked, and tons of USA/VE worked, thanks to hours of Sporadic E.
If there was an 07Z opening on 15 to the far east (which occurs most years), I
missed it. 10 meters never really happened here, which was surprising,
considering the Sporadic E on 15.

The number of multipliers worked was just astounding this year, with the
overall number worked up by 37. Makes me wonder if I have been doing something
wrong the other 25 times I have operated this contest ! The result was my best
score, ever.

Thanks for all the QSO's !