[3830] IARU 4O3A(UT5UDX) SO CW HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jul 13 08:09:27 PDT 2009

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: 4O3A
Operator(s): UT5UDX
Station: 4O3A

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Obosnik hill

  160:    30            6       21
   80:   276           12       29
   40:   705           29       39
   20:  1090           39       38
   15:   679           24       36
   10:    66            6       21
-------------------------------------
Total:  2846    0     116      184  Total Score = 2,563,800

Club: SKY Contest Club

Comments:

What a messy weekend.

I have well known contester Sergei Rebrov, UT5UDX as guest for IARU.  Monday
before the contest we completed service on 2L80, after direct lightning hit on
main tower and I tough that will be the last broken item. But unfortunately,
prior the contest I discovered that I still has many things inside the shack
burned:

- SO2R box
- Second amplifier option
- Six-pack

Whole Friday I spend in try to make station functional. At the end, Sergei get
very simple SO2R audio switching and looks like he will be able to make a good
score.

But, Saturday morning, at 03:00 local time we had a thunderstorm...!?! In the
middle of July?  We lost electricity, and Sergei started contest with
generator, and it stopped every 20-30 minutes because of unknown reason. Very
frustrating.
6 hours after contest start, I asked military (our neighborhoods on the top of
the hill) to borrow us one 16kW generator and they did it very kindly. Sergei
did a break of 2 hours and got electricity again, stable to the end of the
contest.

He is serious and obstinate contester. He did a maximum and we both understand
that score he did should be much higher - more than 3000 Qs and more than 3M
points. But, that's a sport we like - a lot of mistakes, problems and
surprises.

I hope that next year for IARU all will be ready for Sergei to make what he
really can from this place.

Thanks' to YU1JW and 4O2D on their help in solving all the problems we had.

73
Ranko, 4O3A