[3830] WPX CW KL7RA M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 1 00:49:11 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): AL7IF K6AW KL7RA
Station: KL7RA

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Alaska

   20: 2456

No entries from KL7 for the new M2 category so we decided to try for the Alaskan
record which we are proud to report we broke in 4 seconds. We went ahead for the
next 48 hours to make sure and ended up breaking the old Alaskan M/M record as
well, mostly due working Europe for 48 hours.

I have no real knowledge of propagation for this Kenai QTH during this time of
year/Sun spot cycle but we found this contest fun and it kept three of us
very busy working the two stations.

I just switched from DOS to a Windows logger so Steve, K6AW who normally works
HC8N came up to baby sit us as I hit the Enter key for no obvious results
10,000 times and complained each and every time. He also wanted to experience
being weak for a change so HC8N would be fun again I think. He stayed busy on
20 shoveling calls into the log as propagation was very good for us to Europe
and we worked very weak stations for hours on end when the band is normally
dead here and then working very loud Europe stations when it is normally open.
Nothing on Ten but we tried. 15 was summer time no SunSpots pea soup weak and
40 was okay, but just okay.

Wigi, AL7IF left the famous Kenai Salmon streams this weekend to contest with
us and catch Prefix mults instead of the Kings but he's back flogging the
waters hearing CW in the river ripples and thinking RD5's and UT3's.

Next up IARU.

When I repair this pile of broke stuff we will be ready. 73 Rich KL7RA