[3830] WPX CW KT5J(N2IC) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 1 06:38:17 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KT5J
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: New Mexico

   20: 1390

I don't usually do this contest single-op, but my 2nd op caught a nasty bug and
had to cancel.

The weather here has been unseasonably stormy, and that greatly affected my
off-time strategy. We have had slow moving storms every afternoon and evening.
>From my hilltop QTH, I don't take any chances with lightning. Had to take my
first off-time at 0120Z. At 06Z, I was 300 QSO's down from NY6N, which really
hurt, mentally. My plan was to operate through the night and morning, and take
additional off-time when the weather forced it. Well...guess what...there were
no additional nearby storms for the rest of the contest. That left me in the
uncomfortable position of taking almost no off-time during the nighttime hours,
and having only 4 hours of operating time remaining in the last 11 hours. In
retrospect, my accidental off-time strategy seemed to have paid off with lots
of 6-point QSO's.

As many have commented, propagation was excellent. However, from out here, 20
meters was not good on Friday night. It was strange listening to NY6N running
guys that were not audible here. That forced me to focus on working EU and JA
on 40. Another unplanned decision which paid big dividends ! 80 was also a
pleasant surprise - I could actually hear stuff through the static crashes.

Saturday AM brought the expected conditions - some EU on 20, but lots of
absorption, with mostly 1-point QSO's...and lots of juicy prefixes. Took 3
hours of off-time during the early afternoon. Then something wonderful happened
- I started CQing on 14031 around 2130Z, and stayed there for the next 8 1/2
hours. A great over-the-pole run, with over 800 QSO's. I can't ever recall
sitting so long on one frequency, and having it be so productive. This was the
best over-the-pole opening I have experienced during a contest in many years.
When 20 slowed down, I took 1 hour of off-time, and then back to 40 for more 6
point JA QSO's until well after sunrise.

I rationed my little remaining operating time during the day on Sunday by
operating for short periods, then taking the required 1 hour of off-time.
Unfortunately, I was done by 22Z, missing what sounded like excellent EU
conditions on 20 in the last few hours. However, I really can't complain about
the results.

Many thanks for the QSO's, and thanks to Larry, K5OT, for lending me the
callsign for the weekend.