[3830] WPX CW AD1C SOAB(TS) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 1 09:45:35 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: AD1C
Operator(s): AD1C
Station: AD1C

Class: SOAB(TS) LP
QTH: CO

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Radio:     ICOM 756 Pro III (100W)
Antenna:   half-G5RV in attic
Software:  WriteLog 10.71
Hardware:  microHAM microKEYER (CW)

Average points/QSO = 1.70

I really didn't expect to spend as much time in this one as I did.  But I love
WPX CW for several reasons:

- puny station can work lots of stateside guys on multiple bands (who cares if
they're only 1 point!)

- virtually unlimited supply of multipliers

- over-the-pole propagation at night is fun

I worked probably 90% S&P and the other 10% calling CQ.  I only got good runs
the couple of times I was spotted on packet.

I had a lot of fun working JA, OH, UA9, ES, UA, UR, YL, LY and OH0
over-the-pole on 20 meters Saturday night (Sunday a.m. GMT).  I was surprised
to work a loud AH2Y on 20 CW Saturday at 0508z

There were some loud signals on 15, but for some reason my remote tuner doesn't
like 15 CW (phone part of band is OK), and I couldn't get more than 25W at the
rig.  The power was fluctuating, so my signal probably sounded like QSB.  I
only worked the guys who were S9 on the meter.  I tried calling CU2X (loud as
always) and PJ2T but no go.  I probably could have worked a KH6 as well.

A VE7 was my only QSO on 10m.  I tried listening a few times, but heard no one
else.

I worked two new DXCC entities from Colorado (UP and 3V), and two new CQ zones
(17 and 18).

Thanks to everyone for pulling my weak signal out of the noise!

73 - Jim AD1C