[3830] WPX CW K9YC SO(A)AB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 1 11:41:20 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K9YC
Operator(s): K9YC
Station: K9YC

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: CA

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

A nice weekend with my usual collection of wires. Highlights were JA runs
overnight and a very nice opening into northern EU Saturday night. Worked
straight thru after dinner Sat night to 7 am, then coffee at 11:30 and BIC til
the end.

Haven't figured out what NP3D/NY2 means. Yes, I know he lives in NY. So what?
Perhaps I should sign K9YC/JAZZ in contests.

I am thoroughly disgusted with the use of cut numbers in exchanges. When copy
is marginal, whether due to QRN, QRM, flutter, a lousy fist, or someone sending
too fast for conditions, my brain needs the TIMING of the numbers to help me
copy. I completely agree with Ed Muns, W0YK, who said on the NCCC reflector,

"I agree.  I never send cut numbers in the serial number.  I think 5NN on CW
is fine and I think ATT for 100 or K for 1000 is OK for the power in the
exchange for the ARRL DX Contest.  Cut numbers work OK in fixed, repetitive
(unchanging) parts of the exchange.  But, for serial numbers, cut numbers
undoubtedly backfire, causing far more repeats, questions and time spent
than could ever be saved by using them in the first place."

Sending too fast for conditions is another big problem. At times, I had a lot
of flutter on signals from EU, making copy difficult, yet some operators
insisted on 35-40 wpm, even after six rounds of repeats! My signal couldn't
have been that solid on their end either, so it should have been obvious. What
are they thinking?

73,

Jim K9YC
Santa Cruz, CA