[3830] WPX CW VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jun 2 16:57:08 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI

   40: 1057
   20: 2232

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Murphy paid his visits before the contest this time. I missed my plane
connection and had to overnight in Montreal. Didn't get to the PEI DX Lodge
until Thursday afternoon, only to find the crane that was supposed to swap out
the rotator for middle of the stack 20 meter yagi never showed up. During the
contest, the top and bottom yagis did quite well without the middle one.

Fortunately, it stays light out late this time of year, so I was able to do
some other antenna work. As opposed to last year when virtually my best
antennas on every band were still broken from the big ice storm, this year
everything was up except for the middle 10 and middle 15 meter yagis, and the
middle 20 was fixed south.

Murphy also visited inside the shack on Friday afternoon, keeping me from
getting my pre-contest nap. First, an Alpha 87A I had brought from home to
replace one that had failed, failed also. A long phone call with Alpha Radio
tech support failed to fix the problem, so I swapped in a 91B.

Then the computer stopped sending CW and seeing one radio. It took a while to
find the SO2R box powerpole connector had loosened out of the 12 vac
distribution box.

Then the contest started and all problems disappeared.  I opened to six
straight 100+ hours with almost all QSOs on 40 meters, including a 144 1st hour
with 807 points. 20 meters generated very good but not great rates, probably
because it was always open, spreading out the calling hordes. I tried to run on
15, but was unable to either day. 20 was just so good so long that I just didn't
care that 15 didn't produce.

Using the K3s are such a pleasure. The filtering let me find holes to CQ in on
bumper to bumper crowded bands. If I remember the call correctly, the filters
let me snug up a little too close to KQ2M - he quickly let me know. Sorry OM. I
may owe some other apologies, but if my filters keeps me from hearing you, you
need better filters:)

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT