[3830] WPX CW OG6A(@OH4A) M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Jun 3 09:06:56 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: OG6A
Operator(s): OH6KZP, OH6LI, OH6QU
Station: OH4A

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Kisko

   20: 1863

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Our target was set to challenge the old OH record in the M/S category which was
8.8Mpoints. We knew that we had a chance to break it even at the bottom of the
solar cycle but needed a bit of help from the propagation. Especially Lady
Aurora was the one we didn't want to show up during the contest.

The conditions were excellent: 20M was open for the full 48 hours, there were
intense ES openings on 15M and 10M and even 15M provided some real DXs. Time to
time the pile-ups were comparable to the ones at the solar cycle peak.

We also had exceptionally hot weather throughout the contest. The temperature
reached +30 C during the day, which isn't very common in Finland. Therefore the
contest was also a real temperature stress test for equipment and operators when
the temperature was peaking at least +38 C in the ham shack. The equipment
passed the test successfully with only one minor malfunction. The operators
also survived the test :) Actually the operators didn't get enough heat during
the weekend and therefore we all went to the sauna that showed about +90 C just
after the contest, which ended in the middle of the night towards Monday at 3
am.

We achieved our goal very well - the old OH record was exceeded with a
significant margin. After the contest we also realized that our claimed score
is bigger than the current European record in the M/S category. However, we
knew that there will be others with even bigger claimed scores -
congratulations to E7DX, ES9C, OL3Z, OM7M and UZ2M for your excellent results.
We hope that we finished in the EU top-10 in the very competitive M/S
category.

Improvement for next time: try to recruit more operators for the M/S team. This
time the multiplier radio wasn't manned throughout the contest and operators
were not at their best when too tired.

Equipment:
2 x Yaesu FT-1000MP + linears
10M - 3 x 4 el mono and 3 x 4 el mono
15M - 2 x 4 el mono and 2 x 4 el mono
20M - 3 x 4 el mono, 3 x 4 el mono and 2 el delta loop
40M - 2 x 2 el mono, 2 el shortened
80M - 2 el shortened + RX antennas
160M - quarter slopers + RX antennas