[3830] ARRL June VHF W8RU/R Rover LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jun 16 21:55:07 PDT 2009

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: W8RU/R
Operator(s): W8RU,KC8VGG
Station: W8RU/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: EN82,83,73,72

    6:  18     11
    2:  24     11
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  42     22  Total Score = 1,092

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

We activated 4 grid squares: EN82, EN83, EN73, and EN72.

This was our first try at roving.  Ran with only 6m and 2m.  We had a KB6KQ
loop on the car for 6m (run-and-gun), and set up a 4el yagi for 2m when we
stopped (shoot-and-scoot).

The weather in south central Michigan on Sunday was fabulous.  It was the
perfect day to be out roving: sunny and warm with just enough breeze to keep
one from roasting.

6m was open to the Gulf Coast for the first two hours then fell silent.  2m was
in great shape.  We worked into Chicago to the west and central PA to the east
with the 4el yagi up 21ft and about 40w.

The brick amplifiers were underdriven.  That plus battery voltage droop limited
our power to 30w on 6m and 40w on 2m.  We'll need to improve that situation if
and when we do this again.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs and 73,

Ron (W8RU) and Bill (KC8VGG).