[3830] NCCC Sprint K4BAI LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Jun 19 05:01:33 PDT 2009

                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - June 19

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

   80:   7      4
   40:  18     13
   20:  21     14
-------------------
Total:  46     31  Total Score = 1,426

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

FT1000MP, 100W, zepp, dipole, inverted vee.  Thursday morning, I had to take
down the north end of my 40M dipole and the east end of my 88' CF zepp because
a tree removal company was due to remove the pine tree they were anchored to.
The company had promised to relocate the antennas to the next northerly pine
tree when they were finished.  But, they started later than promised and didn't
finish Thursday.  So, I was faced with operating the NS last night with no 40M
antenna.  Maybe I could get the 80M inverted vee to load on 40 through a tuner?
 I finally decided to tie the end of the dipole to a pole that holds up guy
wires for my tower.  The coax was running over the 80M inverted vee and was
holding up the center of the dipole at about 30'.  Later on, I decided to tie
the end of the zepp to the new anchor pine as high as I could reach.  The ends
of both antennas were about 8' above ground, but they loaded OK.  The zepp
didn't quite touch the roof of the house as it sloped down to the east.
Unusual for me, I hadn't checked computer keying before the contest and it
didn't work last night.  Tried to enable it a second time, but it still didn't
work.  So, used the keyer all night and will check today to see what was wrong
with computer keying last night.  20M seemed pretty good, but I lost out on
most of the jump balls. Signals from the west were quite good and I was
suprised to be called by a 599 K9BGL.  Also worked W9WI/9 Doug visiting in WI
twice.  But, signals from the north east were weak even with the beam that way,
so I left the beam NW most of the time.  Could hear some southeast stations like
W4OC, but no QSOs in NS this week.  40M seemed pretty good all over even with
the haywired antenna system.  80M was very noisy and it was frustrating to have
N0AT call CQ in my face over and over.  But K2XA got me on the first call.
Didn't get many calls on 80.  W4OC and W9RE said my 80M signal was weak last
week, but everything "seems" normal on that antenna.  Think there was a lot of
QRN all over last night.  Welcome back to VE7ST, Guy.  You have been missed.
Also, nice to hear W4NJK, Marc, again QRV.  And a great thrill to get a RI mult
from NB1U.  Thanks for all the QSOs.  Hope to CU all next week with the 40M
antennas back up high.  73, John, K4BAI.