[3830] ARRL FD K7DR 1B LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jun 30 12:26:58 PDT 2009

                    ARRL Field Day

Call: K7DR
Operator(s): K7DR
Station: K7DR

Class: 1B LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs):

   20:  389     25
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

I operate a solo effort at my parents farm near Howell, MI every year
Rigs: IC7000, IC735
Antennas: G5RV on flag pole at 30 feet, 40M 1/4 wave vertical.

Last few years I have made around 900 Q's and set the goal this year to break
1000 Q's. I like to start on 40cw before band goes long, but due to t-storm
activity in midwest, the QRN level was very high (sounded like 160) so had a
hard time hearing anything but strong signals, so went to 20cw. The G5RV held
its own very well on 20 this year, was able to CQ and hold a freq for a while.
Tried 40cw again and then 80cw, but t-storm static drove me back to 20 before I
quit for the evening about 0730Z. Got back on about 1400Z and I could finally
hear on 40M. Made up for lost time and made 300Q's in last 3.5 hours, including
170 in the last 90 min on 40ssb.

I just picked-up the IC7000 in Dayton, so I am still getting used to the radio,
but it worked really well on CW using the various DSP filters. I stayed with my
IC735 with a Heil headset Traveller mic for SSB, because I have the audio
set-up just right on it. I have had a number of different HF rigs, but the
IC735 always gets the call for FD every year.

Score includes 100 pts for W1AW message, 50 pts for online entry.

73
Dave - K7DR