[3830] CQ160 SSB VE3MGY Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 1 08:21:57 PST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: VE3MGY
Operator(s): VE3MGY
Station: VE3MGY

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Ontario

Total:  QSOs = 380  State/Prov = 47  Countries = 4  Total Score = 89,505

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Competing when you are sick is neither productive, enjoyable, or encouraged. But
after I missed the ARRL CW test last weekend due to the flu I was determined to
"go for it" this weekend - thinking of course that by Friday I would be all
better. Unfortunately Murphy [ AKA: The Flu ] then went to my chest and I was
off work sick all week so I ended up being on only part time to grab some
points for the club and break the boredom of being confined to the house all
week. Condx seemed very good although my ears were plugged up and I had a hard
time hearing anyone at times and I kept losing my voice. QRN was very low as
well. The highlight was having I4FYF call me at his SR. Not bad at all for LP -
which by the way means 100w - not 200w, 400w, etc!!

Saturday night I even had two signals on the go at the same time for a few
hours when I fired up the RTTY station on 80M to hand out some points in the
NAQP RTTY while I was TX on 160M. I was very impressed that while the 160M and
80M antennas are ony a few 10's of feet apart - one foot at the closet, there
was absolutely no interstation interference at all - which was the only good
luck I had all week!

73
Brian
VE3MGY