[3830] CQ160 SSB WD5R Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 1 14:01:57 PST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: WD5R
Operator(s): WD5R N5ECT
Station: WD5R

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: ar
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 996  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 17  Total Score = 162,648

Friday afternoon I suggested Marlene start the contest because so early in the
evening there would not be much activity.
She liked it!
About 700 contacts first night and I made approximately 20 of them.

About quitting time Saturday morning  we had  a pleasant surprise
when UA0CW insisted on being logged even  though we were doing
every thing we  could to make it a WA0 .

VE1ZZ and EA8AH also had to absolutely insist before I would
log them. KV4FZ  enjoyed his first effort so much he insisted on
coming back later and doing it again.

We had our right ear,  a good receiver, and a wide spaced beverage
dedicated to Europe, no joy!

Being centrally located has advantages but some drawbacks also.
We’ve got several beverages but it’s really hard to tune out the
QRM when we are looking down the barrel of a big gun,
no mater which direction we select.

Many of you will understand when I say that the only thing better
than having opportunity to work a contest with a good setup,
is  to be able to watch  the XYL operate and see her  smile
as she digs out those weak ones..

And speaking of weak signals, if all the signals were S9 and in the clear,
it wouldn’t be a contest.
Marlene and I really appreciate all the operators that were willing to
hang with us.

At our age we may be pushing  our luck but we’re already
looking forward to the next 160 meter contest season.

BTW, if any of you are traveling through our area we‘d be glad to have
you give us an email and stop by.
If it’s during a contest you are welcome to stop by unannounced.

Doug, n5ect
second in command at WD5R