[3830] CQ160 SSB VA7ST Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 1 20:54:59 PST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC

Total:  QSOs = 16  State/Prov = 9  Countries = 0  Total Score = 666

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Not much to talk about score-wise but for the record: a whopping 666 points.

Amazingly, last year I achieved even less: 10 Qs, 8 mults, 352 points :)

Spent about 40 minutes trying over the course of a few hours Friday night. Knew
after 5 minutes that trying wasn't going to provide much. Inverted-L is more
like an inverted-checkmark with one end close to ground, straight up to the top
at 70', then sloping east to the far end at 45' or so. Rig tuner only got things
down to 2:1, making for about 25 watts out. Still, real QRPers with good
antennas do great things with 5 watts, so I know this antenna is a dog.

First 20 minutes used 200' of chain-link fence as a ground. Froze my butt off
in the snow and removed that connection and tried one on-ground 130' radial,
and one slightly elevated 130' radial. The non-fence version got more action,
but neither worked very well. Better 160M antennas are in the plan once spring
has sprung.

The good news: I could hear everyone from ZF2 to Vancouver just fine --
Beverage system works great at knocking out the noise! Wonderful to hear
signals so crisp and well above the background.

Maybe Night 2 would have been more productive, but I was washed up after NAQP
RTTY.