[3830] ARRLDX CW HG6N M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 2 06:55:24 PST 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: HG6N
Operator(s): HA1AG HA3NU HA3OV HA6ND HA6NY
Station: HG6N

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Karancs

   20: 1160    59
   15:  295    33
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 2706   225  Total Score = 1,825,200

Equipment: FT1000MP, TS950SDX, amps
Antennas:

160m: Dipole on organic tower
80m: Dipole between organic towers
40m: a quad loop to temporarily (?) replace the destroyed Yagi
20m: 5 ele Yagi
15m: 6 ele Yagi
10m: does it matter?

This was a memorable contest. Quite similar to the ARRL CW of 2006: lots of
snow, cold wx, good food and lousy condx.

When we arrived to the station Thursday night we found the winter storms have
greatly reduced our antenna park. Friday we had to make an antenna to
substitute the fully broken 40m yagi as well as the 80m CW dipole needed some
maintenance (=tree-climbing) as well.

The weather was nice for skiing and hiking but somewhat less desirable for
antenna work. 30cm snow, sunshine and -5/-10C temperatures. We ended up with a
quad loop on 40m overlooking the valley on the west at the edge of the ridge.
It worked well for a wire loop but still it was no match for a Yagi :)

Some photos can be seen at:
http://www.hg6n.hu/ha1ag/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=68

The contest itself was kind of light but enjoyable, leaving lots of time to
work K5D on every band ever permitted for ham radio, to cook some good but
very
unhealthy food. The low bands were in good shape the first night and in
somewhat
worse in the second. I was surprised by the 170 Qs on 40m in the first hour
with
the loop, too bad it wasn't followed by many others of this kind.

15m opening was funny. There were weak and weaker signals. The two days were
in
balance though: the first day condx favoured the NE, and the eastern part of
W8
while Sunday was obviously a Florida day. Too bad the band closed early both
days for us.

HA3NU and I had leave Sunday afternoon leaving the finish to HA6ND and HA3OV.
made a video of our descent from the hill with my phone (actually only part of
the descent, because on the top of the hill I was trying to stay in my seat)

it can be viewed here:
http://www.hg6n.hu/ha1ag/hg6n/09arrlcw_downhill.wmv

(when it looks if we had turned upside down, I just moved my frozen arm inside
the car)

73 and cu in RDXC,

zoli HA1AG

ps: the growth of the M/M class in the USA can clearly be seen by the howling
pileups generated by HG7N and 5G6N spots. Guys, when I send my callsign 5
times
followed by LIDS PSE LSN LSN with 25 WPM U should really recognize that
something went wrong... :-)