[3830] CQ160 SSB VE3EY Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 3 14:27:33 PST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: VE3EY
Operator(s): VE3EY
Station: VE3EY

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ON

Total:  QSOs = 1377  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 52  Total Score = 810,522

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Having recently installed a subreceiver into my K3, I finally got to experience
all the goodies that everyone else was raving about this rig. I wanted to give
diversity receive a try and for that reason, I used a home made version of
'sixpack' SO2R antenna switch to switch four beverages between either Main or
Sub RX on the K3. Radio1 port from the Antenna switch was wired into RX Ant in
connector and Radio2 to AUX port (subreceiver).

I am sure Diversity Receive is no new news for many of you out there, but I was
just thrilled with the way it worked. For the most part, I had a W6 beverage in
one ear and W4/Caribbean beverage in the other, or EU beverage in one ear and
one of the other beverages.

I was amazed to work a stream of stations mostly audible either on one or the
other antenna but not both. I wish I had this working during CW part of WW160
as I was wondering how many stations I missed by not having listened on the
right beverage when someone from that direction called in.

I missed some very commonly found mults from Europe such as SM, OH, LY, YL, UA,
UA2F and ES to name a few.   S&Ping was almost an impossible task from here due
to all the splatter from nearby stations so I mainly stuck to a single running
frequency for hours. I even ended up in a frequency fight with K1LZ himself. I
guess now I won't be getting that discount on my next Acom amplifier purchase I
was counting on :-)

EU conditions were better on 2nd night but I was unable to hear very well. A
good friend of mine, YT5Z was telling me after the contest that number of EU
stations were calling while I was just CQing in their face.  I didn't think
this was a RX ant problem but rather the nature of SSB contesting on the top
band, but I apologize to all those I was unable to pick up through the QRM and
static noise.