[3830] ARRLDX SSB N5AW SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 8 19:11:23 PDT 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: TX

Total:  860   297  Total Score = 765,369

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Better than I expected – my highest score since 2006.

15 was open to EA/CT/F/I for several hours Sunday - heard a weak PA and an ON
(neither worked) but that was it. Had a much wider opening in the CW contest
but shorter in duration. Multipliers on 15 suffered as a result. Sounded like
the Florida guys had a wider opening.

Ten was a pleasant surprise and made up some for 15 meters.

Low bands were good Friday evening but the static Saturday evening/Sunday
morning made 80 and 160 useless until about midnight. Fortunately propagation
was good enough that some of the Europeans were workable (even on 160) at their
sunrise.

Think this was the fewest JA's I've worked in this contest in many years. Only
one on 15. The big guns were strong on 40 but did not hear many of the "little
pistols".

I just can't take too much of digging the Europeans out of the QRM on 20 and
periodically have to go to the higher bands to recover my sanity! Thank
goodness for all the South Americans. With out them it would have really been
boring during the day time - they accounted for 2/3 of my contacts on 10 and
15.

Had to go with out my DVK for SO2R - checked everything out before the contest
and it was working fine. Then when I started, the audio to the K3 was pure
noise. It worked with the Orion for about 15 minutes then it went noisy too.
Suspect a ground came loose somewhere but couldn't find it so I took the DVK
out. No problems switching the mike between radios - the problem was entirely
with the DVK. Fortunately it did not hurt all that much this time as I did very
little CQing.

Said I would have a self imposed 36 hour operating limit again this year but
ended up operating closer to 40. That's a little "saner" than the 44 I put in
on CW though.

Marv, N5AW

Radios: Tentec Orion, Elecraft K3 – 100 watts

Antennas:
       160m: 42m tower with 6 elevated radials @ 22m
	80m: 5 sloping dipole array from 41m tower
	40m: Moxon @ 42m
             Lazy H @ 40m NW-SE
  10/15/20m: 3L SteppIR @ 41m
             4L SteppIR @ 23m
             C3/C3 @ 31 m & 25m fixed NE
             TH3jr @ 13m fixed SE
  Beverages: 230m NE, 160m NW

Other: Homebrew SO2R box, TR log

                  160    80    40    20    15    10    ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --    --
  N.A. calls  =     12    24    34    46    36    17    169
  S.A. calls  =      3    10    27    56    94    55    245
  Euro calls  =      7    25    63   190    20     0    305
  Afrc calls  =      0     2     2     8     5     0     17
  Asia calls  =      0     0     1    11     0     0     12
  JA calls    =      0     8    13    38     1     0     60
  Ocen calls  =      1     6    16    15    14     0     52

   Total calls =     23    75   156   364   170    72   860

The following stations were worked on 6 bands:

TI5N        PJ4G        HI3K        P49Y        V26F        PJ2T
6Y1V