[3830] ARRLDX SSB K6GEP SOAB(A) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 8 21:58:07 PDT 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: K6GEP

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: ORG

   10:    3     2
-------------------
Total:  181    92  Total Score = 49,956

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I was short of my 200 QSO and 50,000 point goal, but glad that Murphy did
not bite me like he did the 2 previous years.  No Santa Ana Winds this year
for a change!

Awesome condix Friday night on 20M.  Worked JA's until 0300z.  Worked a couple
of Europeans on 40.  Seemed to be a lot of QRN lightning crashes on the low
bands Friday and most of the night Saturday.  Conditions were fair on 80M.
Tried to work FP/K1VJ, PS0F and OX2A on 80, but there was no way with 100W.
FP is a TOUGH PATH from here.  I did get PS0F on 20 and 40.

I hit a brick wall about noon local time on Sunday where I ran out of stations
to work.  As a small station, I know I am working only the big guns.  I was
100% S&P.

The highlight of the contest was working VP8KF on 20 and 15.  Nice to work
J88DR on several bands.

Over the past 2 years, my interest in CW and RTTY contesting has pushed SSB
contesting to the #3 spot for me.  This contest proved to me I can still have
fun on SSB.

Rig:
FT-990

Ants:
80 meter dipole sloping from 50 feet
40 meter inv vee at 50 feet
20 meter dipole at 20 feet oriented NE
15 meter dipole at 25 feet
10 meter Ten-3 Yagi (on loan from KQ6ES)

Software: N3FJP