[3830] ARRLDX SSB NN3W(@N3HBX) SOAB(A) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 9 06:59:12 PDT 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): NN3W
Station: N3HBX

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: MD

   20: 1366   120
Total: 2549   419  Total Score = 3,162,612

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

As always, thanks to N3HBX for letting me use the Poolesville station.  It
works!

That score should be right.  I had to do some manual scoring to add in TO2T
which was worked on 5 bands but CT gave the infamous "///////" in the
multiplier field.  I assume that CT gave QSO point credit.

I was unassisted at first until I discovered that the 80 meter Lazy H is
totally shot and next to useless right now (You know things are wrong when my
15 meter QSO count exceeds the 80 meter count).  So, with no chance to do well,
I switched to the (A) category and decided to have fun.  46.5 hours later, I was
simply tired, but elated.

Good condx on the low bands, but not quite as good as the CW weekend; 20 meters
was good with deep openings to the "stans" and to India in the morning and in
the evening to JA; poor 15 condx (worse than the CW weekend); and, awful 10
meter condx save for the nice opening around 2000z on Sunday.

Great runs on 40 SSB.  Endless piles of stations to work through the night.
Bedlam on 20, including a rather unpleasant run-in with the DXer types who were
criticizing me for defending my frequency when ZL7T showed up on my frequency 30
minutes after I started to run it.  "Please QSY OM, you are interfering with
ZL7T."  QSY to WHERE????  I decided to stick it out and had the best hour of
Sunday that hour.  Go figure.  15 was also annoying as I could see a LOT of
multipliers being posted and I simply could not get the skip to shorten enough
to land them or even hear them.  I missed ZF2, T4 and at least two others owing
to conditions.

Was called by some nice DX later on Sunday including TL0A, OD5ET, and a couple
others.  It felt kinda like CQWW DX except that the pacific was non-existent
other than the VKs who were out in force.  The KL7s were all over the place
too.  Great job guys!

Speaking of out in force, my lord, there are lots of PY stations.  All over the
place on 15 and 10.

Congrats to several stations including VP9I, VP2E, YN2NB, PJ4G and others for
making the six-band trek.