[3830] ARRLDX SSB W1QA(@NC1I) M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 9 11:09:05 PDT 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W1QA
Operator(s): K9PW K1WHS W1QA NC1I
Station: NC1I

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MA

   20: 1513   118
   15:  133    48
   10:   16     8
-------------------
Total: 2479   372  Total Score = 2,765,448

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

We were able to put in a full effort and had no problems with equipment or
antennas.  This year we were joined by Dave K1WHS who got his feet wet in HF
contesting.  Hopefully the experience was not to traumatic and we can get him
back for future efforts.  For the third consecutive year Pete K9PW carried us
by doing the bulk of the operating.  The rest of us are still learning the
tricks to HF contesting.  Thanks to Bob W1QA for helping build and maintain the
station as well as handling all of the logging/computer issues.

20 meters was a real zoo and it was very difficult to hold a good run frequency
but the production was still good.  It will sure be nice when conditions on 15 &
10 improve and we can all spread out over more bands.  This had to be the most
crowded conditions I have ever experienced on 20.  We did think conditions on
20 & 40 were better than last year.

Overall I thought that operating practices were very good this weekend.  We
certainly got squeezed plenty of times but I can't recall anyone trying to
hijack our frequency.  It also seemed there were fewer busted spots than there
were during the CW weekend.

Despite the need for a couple of asperin every 4 hours while operating 20
meters, we all had a great time.

Unless we decide to do something for the WPX phone weekend later this month
this will probably be our last activity until late fall.

Equipment:

IC-7800
Acom 2000A
micro Keyer II