[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE8EV M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 9 21:35:20 PDT 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE8EV
Operator(s): VE8EV, VE8DW
Station: VE8EV

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Inuvik, NWT

  160:    2     2
   80:    6     5
   15:   13     7
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  361   118  Total Score = 127,792

I thought this was another mediocre contest result from our
geomagnetically-challenged part of the world but after seeing some of the west
coast scores I'm starting to think our score was at least non-laughable, if not
almost respectable.

Conditions on Friday and Saturday were great.  Worked a bunch of Europeans
overnight on 40m, had some nice little runs on 20m and we even picked up some
mults on 15m.  Saturday night was a lot slower as the aurora came out and I
slept through most of the 40m opening to Asia.

With the K-index up Sunday was mostly a write-off except for the last half
hour.  For a whole 30 minutes I think I heard what 20m sounds like for you guys
down south.  Loud and clear with layer upon layers of audible stations and I
could work anyone I wanted with only one or two calls.  I raced up the band
from one end to the other trying to work as many as I could before time was up.
 It was just amazing and made up for lots of the single-digit rate hours.

Full write-up is at http://ve8ev.blogspot.com

73
John - VE8EV