[3830] ARRLDX SSB VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB(A) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Mar 12 11:26:43 PDT 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: PEI

   20: 1819   110
   15:   95    56
   10:    3     2
-------------------
Total: 2876   360  Total Score = 3,093,120

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

My biggest weakness in the ARRL DX & CQWW contests are finding mults. Since I
had lots of antennas broken (but at least one working on every band) I thought
it would be fun to use Packet, and, perhaps, show me DX paths I'm missing,
helping my future mult totals in unassisted efforts. Also, after looking at the
last few year's SOAB(A) scores, I thought I might be able to win this category.

I was wrong on both counts.

My mult total wasn't any better than 2 or 3 years ago (I had NO antennas last
year after the big ice storm, so I didn't work that contest.) I had my packet
spot window set to just show new mults. I was VERY surprised at how few calls
appeared in that window. Of course, I didn't pay attention to spots during the
high rate hours. I wasn't going to be single op distracted if I could help it.
Most of the juicy DX I worked found me.

I couldn't HEAR a majority of spots, including those posted by East coast
stations and even New England stations. The worst was during the 10 meter
opening Sunday afternoon. I saw the spots. I didn't hear ANYTHING. Granted my
10m stack is not up, but still I would have thought 4 elements at 65' would
have been good enough. My 10 meter QSOs were on Saturday and as I recall
weren't from spots. I can't say I learned any propagation tricks from watching
the packet spots.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT