[3830] Rus DX K0DXC(@K9MMS) M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Mar 21 21:59:25 PDT 2009

                    Russian DX Contest

Call: K0DXC
Operator(s): K0DXC, K9MMS
Station: K9MMS

Class: M/S HP
QTH: St. Charles, IL
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    2     0         2         0
   80:   22     0        13         0
   40:  106     0        28         3
   20:  264     0        53        20
   15:    4     0         3         0
   10:    0     0         0         0
Total:  398     0        99        23  Total Score = 220,576

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Rig: K3 - Amp @ 500 Watts
Antennas: TH-6 @72 feet, ATB-35 @33 feet, 402CD (2 el 40) @62 feet, 80 M INV V,
160 M INV L
Software: Win-Test

We (K0DXC and K9MMS) thought a lot about if we were going to operate this year
and, if we operated, what category we would be in. Because my family was
visiting my grandparents in Illinois this trip was not meant for an all day
contest...... THIS time! :)

We debated entering as M/2, SOHP K9MMS (K0DXC), or SOHP K0DXC (K9MMS). In the
end we decided on M/S. Normally we're both "put in the doghouse" if we are both
on the radio so by entering M/S we were able to take shifts and keep our effort
more low key.

I was really excited for the contest, but propagation was really bad for most
of it. I got on at 1200 UTC on 20 meters to discover the band hadn't even
opened to EU yet from the black hole. An hour later conditions had barely
improved.

I hoped 40 would be good to EU all night, but it wasn't. From 7035.0 to 7055.0
there was digital all over the place. This basically wiped out the whole band
for me because I'm still only a General. :(

80 meters was a struggle and 160 meters was ESP.

Anyways, enough excuses! Operating the RDXC from K9MMS was still a lot of fun!
I got some radio time in, was able to spend time with family, and enjoy the
weekend away from school!

*The most embarrassing/funniest moment for me (K0DXC) happened right after I
switched bands from 40 to 80 meters. I had the 40 meter beam pointing south.
Suddenly, I came across a new multiplier in Europe. I dropped my call in and he
went back to someone else. Immediately my hand flew up to the rotator to turn
the beam towards Europe. My grandpa was watching and when he saw this he just
laughed and said, "Cal, trying to turn my 80 M INV V with the 40 meter rotator
won't do you any good!".

Thanks to everyone for the QSO(s) and good luck to everyone hoping to qualify
for WRTC 2010!

CU in the next one!

73,

Cal, K0DXC and Gary, K9MMS