[3830] OkQP K5YAA Rover-Assisted LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 23 11:43:30 PDT 2009

                    Oklahoma QSO Party

Call: K5YAA
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: Rover-Assisted LP
QTH: 22 Counties

  160:      0        0
   80:      2        0
   40:    527        0
   20:    447      143
   15:      0        0
   10:      0        0
------------------------
Total:    974      143  Mults = 59  Total Score = 183,372

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

Saturday AM start in my home county of Rogers on 40 CW - sounding alright.  Got
into Nowata county and decided it was time to try 20 CW.  Band crowded!  Lot's
of ops giving out serial numbers - thought me and the whole OKQP was going to
be lost in the crowd.  Shaken, I quickly returned to 40 CW.  As it turned out I
didn't make one Q on 20 CW from Nowata county.  When we moved into Craig county,
I took a deap breath, flinched and peaked at 20 CW again. Wow, still crowded
with serial numbers.  Gotta be a spot here somewhere for a mobile.  Found one
and as the morning progressed started feeling like part of the crowd.  Seems
some of the crowd were actually looking for OKQP contacts!  Well, maybe all
will be well and as it turned out 20 was good the whole weekend once we left
Nowata county.  Nice surprises were several european callers on both days for
many more miles than in previous years, notably LY2ZZ in 12 of the 22 counties
we covered.  Also, DL5MC, DL3DXX and CU2JT all with nice signals.  A number of
other europeans called in.  Worked all states except AR, SD and WY and all but
both ends ( VE1/VO, and VE8 ) of Canada.  VE4EAR was very loud on 40 meters
several times.  Other Canadian notables were VE2AWR and VE3CRU.

This year I had tuned 2 hamstiks for both 40 and 20.  One each for CW and SSB.
My 40 CW stik decided to exhibit high SWR at the start on Saturday morning so
retuned the SSB stik for CW and never made a call on 40 SSB but imagine it
would have been quite good as signals on 40 CW were good most of both days.  My
80 whip was too large to go much over 60 MPH so stashed it and only tried 80
late Saturday after we had stopped for the day.  Never made a Q on 6 meters and
never got to listen to 15 or 10.  Turns out, you can only do so much anyway and
as long as 20 and 40 stay busy ( which they did ) it's hard to get around to
much else!  Another thing that kept me hopping was poor placement of my laptop.
 I used a mouse that kept getting away from me and causing me to delay getting
back to the "real" screen where the Q was.  I imagine at times callers thought
- where did he go?  QRN is always a problem mobiling.  This year was no
exception.  The worst was Hwy 59 paralleling an electric line in Grant and
Garfield counties.  The S-Meter was hitting 30 over nine for a handful of
miles.  That's it for my excuses.

Thanks to all the callers that followed us around again this year.  Many
familiar calls and also looks like another sweep of all 77 OK counties by John,
N6MU.  Maybe others too and I know a number of others needed only one or two to
complete the sweep.  The panhandle counties of Beaver, Texas and Cimmaron were
covered multiple times.  A special thanks to mobiles who made that "long" and
"lonely" run.  Also, thanks to the visiting mobiles from neighboring states.
WØBH, KØWHY, NO5W ( with W5ZL and KU5B ), W3DYA, N4CD, N5UV and KB6OJE.
There may have been others but as has been the case in the past, working
instate from instate is a real challenge.  I never heard NO5W or the WØBH
mobile and only worked other mobiles or OK fixed stations when we passed within
a few miles of each other except for one far east ( Adair ) to far west (
Ellis/Beaver )contact with N5UM on 40 CW.  1 Q with N4CD and a broken Q with
W3DYA ( I never copied his county ).  Sorry Norm.

I think we will do this thing again next year.  Might even find a few Qs on 15
meters and I'm pretty sure another set of excuses!

Just for fun - here are the Q totals worked from each county.

Rogers     92
Nowata     52
Craig      53
Ottawa     85