[3830] WPX SSB W4TMN SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 29 18:14:26 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: W4TMN
Operator(s): W4TMN
Station: W4TMN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Toano, VA

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Murphy was having a field day at my house this weekend.  Fortunately, I was able
to get all of my homework done so that I could play!!  It sucks being a college
student again in that respect.  Coupled with the band conditions, it made for
an interesting experience.  I had to work Friday, so that meant that I was up
at 4:30 am and was not able to get a nap before the contest started.  With the
rain passing through the area, we had enough static crashes to make me deaf!  I
was never able to get a sustainable run going anywhere, but made some good rates
doing S&P for a while.  To top everything off, my wife had to go to the doctor
on Saturday with a bad virus and I got a stomach bug on Sunday morning!!!
Needless to say, I was ready for this one to be over!  My goal was to beat last
year's score, and for a while I was doubtful that I was going to be able to do
it because I was having difficulty finding anyone to talk to other than US
stations.  Fortunately, Sunday turned around (in between bathroom breaks!)
enough that I was able to top last year's result.  I could not believe that I
was able to get NQ4I on 5 bands.  I didn't hear them on 10, but I am sure they
were there.  It was great seeing all of my old friends on the radio this
weekend such as Paul (N4PN), Dave (NM4M) and others.  Thanks to everyone for
their patience in digging out my puny signal from among the static crashes!!

Summarized:  Low SFI + QRM + QRN + QSB = WPX 2009

73,

Hershel