[3830] WPX SSB NX5M M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 29 20:07:50 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, KU5B, N5XJ, KJ5T
Station: NX5M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TEXAS

   40: 1024
   20: 2109

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Did better than last year with score over 1 mil higher despite the low bands
being next to useless to us the first night because of storm noise.
Would have liked to have had another operator to help out on this one but we
managed to get through it by splitting up the duties.
N5XJ and KJ5T did the majority of the daytime operating while KU5B and NX5M
fought off sleep deprivation (for the most part) to handle the night duties; we
did work during the day some as well.
Both of us fell asleep in the operating chair at one time or another.  It was
especially difficult for me having serious pain in my back due to a pinched
nerve and sleeping for no more than two hours between 6am Friday and the time I
finally got to take a 3 hour nap beginning at 830am Sunday.  KU5B managed a bit
more sleep than I but not much.
Had a couple of new hams drop in during the weekend so I set them up with a set
of headphones so that they could listen to the action.  I think it scared one of
them off after 1 hour because he had said that he was coming back but never did.
 The other came by for the last two hours and commented that what we were doing
was "cool".  I guess one out of two is not bad.
Knew going in that there is no way to compete with the east so our goal was to
just try to win zone 4.  Quite impressive scores as shown by the K1LZ crew on
getscores.org and the only other I have seen is the very nice score from the
gang that operated NF4A at the W8JI qth.
Quite satisfied with our effort....could have been better in some areas but the
main thing is that we had fun, we increased our score by a pretty fair margin
over last year and KJ5T got his first real experience in WPX.  For me
personally, it was nice to get my mind off of some other issues and be able to
concentrate on a contest for a weekend.