[3830] WPX SSB IR1G(IZ1LBG) SOAB(R) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 30 14:40:37 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: IR1G
Operator(s): IZ1LBG
Station: IR1G

Class: SOAB(R) HP
QTH: JN44cv (CORTAZZONE)

Thanks very much evrybody for QSO!

I didn't expect a result like that...my personal goal is to beat the italian
record for rookie cateory and I got it.

The contest:
I began the contest on 160 m then after a really short move on 40 m I stayed on
80 m that seamed to be the best band. Then a really nice running on 40 m (here I
have done my best hour of contest with a rate of 98 QSO/h) and a short move on
15 m. In the afternoon I quite always stay on 20 m that seamed to be the best
band. Indeed NA signals were very strong and I think that I never work so many
West coast station like this weekend. Maybe is also for the frequency (14218.3)
but really the qso rate stay for all afternoon  shifting between 70 and 85 QSO/h
really not good...Then the unexpected opening on 10 m and the good surprise to
work PY0FF on 40 m, my last first day QSO
The second day was, as first one, very enjoyable. I found a place were I cuold
call on 160 m (belive me for italian station is not easy!) and also on 40 m
(7090.5 listening 7283) I found a quite good place but maybe I was too near to
very EU strong station so not many NA station cuold hear and work me. But when
I moved on 80 m I didn't found any free frequency so I miss some 6 points QSO
for that. I spent the second morning on 20 m working many russian and asiatic
station then after a disappointing hour on 15 m I move on 40 m. I spent many
time also during the afternoon on 40 m, that band was the alternative to the
crowded 20 m band. When I returned on 20 m I were not lucky like the first day
in founding freqency. The 10 m surprise continued also the second evening with
SA (in this frequency 44 QSO with them) were booming 10-15-30 over 9. Then I
spent quite all my last hour for found new WPX on 15 m, that were more open
that in the afternoon, then again on 20 m then 2 QSO on 160 m and just few more
on 40 m where my last one was also a new WPX!

Next planned contest is IARU HF. I will not spend many time on radio due to my
last year exam at school!

Good point
- to work KH7XS and PY0FF on 40 m only with a dipole
- the nice running on 40 and 20 m
- all station work well

bad point
-15 m were disappointing