[3830] WPX SSB NA0CW(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 30 20:55:09 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NA0CW
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: N0KE

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Silt, CO

Rig: Elecraft K-2

Antennas:

10-15-20 Meter 3 el Delta (Quad variant) up 60 feet

10-15-20 Meter 3 el TA-33 tribander up 60 feet

40 Meter 2 el Yagi up 55 feet

40-80 Meter HyTower vertical

160 Meter sloper

I operated this contest at the station of N0KE in western Colorado. Phil went
to TI5KD and he graciously permitted me to use his station. The weather was
cold but, fortunately, no bad snow storms. I was able to leave Fri AM from my
home in San Diego, fly into the Grand Junction airport, and walk through his
front door at about 2 PM!

His rig was ready to go, and I was ready to start at 00:00 Z (6:00 PM local
time).

Conditions were lousy and appeared to be about the same as last year. But with
Phil's station, I was able to more than double my score from last year from my
home station (3 el SteppIR up 32 feet and HF-2V vertical).

It was fun to have some stations come back to me on the first call! My best Qs
were to work ZS4U on 15 M, and to have D4C actually answer a CQ on 20 meters in
the middle of a long string of Ws and VEs! My best Q was to find J5UAP calling
lonely CQs at the top of 20 at the bttom of a lot of QRM. He and I struggled
but through his diligence and skill we were finally able to complete the QSO!

Of the 552 Qs I made, about 100 were from calling CQ. From home, that number
would be ZERO!

So, MANY thanks to Phil for letting me use his station and also for getting
that great club call for the WPX contest. It was a lot of fun giving so many
ops a "new mult". I think the only people for whom I was not a new mult were
those I had already worked on another band.

I don't know what there is about this contest, but despite the forced 12 hrs of
"off time" I still don't seem to wind up with more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep
for the weekend!! Even so, I'm looking forward to the CW weekend!

73,  ....Bill Parker   W8QZA / NA0CW