[3830] WPX SSB UP2L(UA9BA) SOSB20 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 30 22:33:39 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: UP2L
Operator(s): UA9BA
Station: UN9LG

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: Kostonay, Kazak
Operating Time (hrs): 32+

   20: 2656

This was big fun contest! CNDX seem to have finally shown signs of improvement.
I can't recall when I last run the US on 20m in our morning hours (arnd 02-03z)
and this time I had a blasting pileup for almost half hour! Overall NA qso count
is 377! Fair activity from Japan - 250 calls. And, o'cose unprecedented activity
from EU! Who's whining on decay of Amateur Radio?! Not in EU! Boy, those endless
new European prefixes! A less strict regulations is the right way to go!
   My goal this time was the old Asian 20m record of 6.297.000 points by H2H
set in 1991. I had a pleasure of using a pair of stacked long boom (22.5m)7L20
antennas with top one @ 36m rotatable and a fixed 5L20 to Asia, IC 7700 and an
amplifier.
   A few funny things happened during the contest but the most memorable one is
this. I was tuning arnd the band at early hours waiting for CNDX to JA and
finally I thought the time for a CQ had come and I started a CQ on a clear
frequency. In few minutes I had couple of JA's in my log and all of sudden a
very loud HS0ZCW started his CQ just few hudred herz off my frequency. I said
that this one was mine and this is what I heard in responce - Oh, no! This one
is mine! I was off for a few moments to take a bath, and now I'm back in
business, thank you for understanding and your kindness! And the guy continued
his CQ. Luckily there was plenty of clear space arnd the band at that time and
I just QSY'ed and found another good one easily.
   Thank you to the host - Grigori UN9LG for letting me use his Super station
and great hospitality! Grigori is very enthusiastic about building more big
antennas this summer. He's getting together material for a fulsize 4L80
interlaced with 5L40 @ 42 mh (the big tower and a rotator capable of turning
the 1300 kg monster are already in place).
   Thank you all for calling! CU in other contests from UP2L!

   73's & GL, Willy UA9BA