[3830] 7QP NK7U M/M HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun May 3 12:56:34 PDT 2009

                    7th Area QSO Party

Call: NK7U
Operator(s): NK7U, NI7T, K7ZO, W7ZRC, KL2A, N7WR
Station: NK7U

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Oregon, Baker County

  160:    2      21     0
   80:  105     103     0
   40:  372     453     0
   20:  448     870     0
   15:   60       0     0
   10:    0       4     0
    6:    0       0     0
    2:    0       0     0
----------------------------
Total:  987    1451     0  Mults = 67  Total Score = 392,821

Well that was fun. Despite miserable propagation we still improved our 2007
score by about 10%. (We sat out last year’s running as Joe was moving and the
QTH was being torn down.) But, we didn’t meet our goal of recapturing the W7
Multi-op score record from K7ZSD -- guess that will have to wait until next
year. Will have to see how the gang down at K5RC did to see how we placed in
this year’s Multi-op battles.

Key this year was maximizing our CW contacts. W7ZRC, KL2A, and NK7U were up to
the challenge here. We had hoped to be able to run CW and Phone simultaneously
on 20 and 40 but ran out of time before the contest to get the antennas placed
and tuned correctly to make this happen. We thought we had things working on
20M only to have one of those “gee it worked 5 minutes ago” moments right
at the start of the contest. This really hurt our overall score as it forced us
to spend time on non-productive bands. We did find some small openings on 15M as
a result and we even found 10M open down the west coast late in the evening for
a few qso’s.

This year we also we pleased to have NI7T join the team. Mike was one of the
guys that really got the NK7U contest station going back in the 80’s. He has
not been around for a contest in years and it was nice to have him in the seat.
N7WR also dropped by for a few QSO’s but couldn’t stay long as he had a new
litter of puppies to watch out after at home.

On a side note did anyone:
1. Figure out a way to run WriteLog in making and logging RTTY QSO’s in this
contest? We didn’t have time to figure it out thus didn’t make any digital
qso’s this year even though it was an allowed mode.
2. Notice any performance problems with the WriteLog W7 QSO Party module? Our
PC’s would grind to a halt after a 100 or so QSO’s and we would have to
reboot them to get them working again. We have never seen this before in any
contest and have had much bigger logs. I just wonder if the W7 QSO Party module
puts more strain on the PC’s than other contest.

See everyone next year.

Scott/K7ZO