[3830] 7QP K7L(K6LL) SOMixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun May 3 14:07:22 PDT 2009

                    7th Area QSO Party

Call: K7L
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K7L

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH:

  160:
   80:   56      30
   40:  273     384
   20:  309     883     6
----------------------------
Total:  638    1297     6  Mults = 68  Total Score = 307,768

I averaged 108 QSO's per hour for 18 hours - great fun!

Just like last year, absorption was high on 20, so most received signals were
extremely weak. Big thunderstorms in Texas added to the background noise on all
bands.

I had a plan to operate RTTY, starting at 2000z, when the ARI contest began. I
was going to send both a serial number and AZYMA to cover both contests, but
the plan didn't work out very well. I don't use N1MM regularly for RTTY (I use
Writelog), and the N1MM program was not behaving as I remember it used to.
Additionally, one RTTY guys groused about my exchange, asking how could I have
1200 QSO's, when the ARI contest had started two minutes ago! Another guy told
me that I was in the "wrong" contest. With all this going on, the rate wasn't
very high (70), so I left after a few minutes. My first RTTY QSO however was
with VO1, which I didn't work on any other mode.

Logging county line stations continues to be problematic, with everyone waiting
impatiently while I fumble around with the keyboard. Next year I think I will
just make a logging note or a voice recorder note to add the second county qso
after the contest.

Mults - I worked all states, and all Canadian mults except NS, NU, NWT, PEI and
YT.

40 SSB without broadcasters in the low end is GREAT! Moving the broadcasters is
a major advancement for ham radio. I should make another donation to the ARRL
frequency defense fund!

I had a large pileup when I hit 40 CW in the evening. I got through it ok, but
I'm not used to dealing with that scene, and need to improve my skills in that
area. The hourly rate was 190 for the first 42 minutes on 40 cw in the evening.
I had been on in the morning, too.

A funny incident happened on 20 SSB. I had a great run frequency, but needed to
take a bathroom break. A loud W7 called me, and I asked him to use the run
frequency while I hit the bathroom. It worked out well for both of us! I forget
who the W7 was, but thanks!

Many thanks to the sponsors for making this a fun contest, and thanks also for
all the QSO's and expeditions.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.