[3830] NCCC Sprint W0BH LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri May 22 11:39:00 PDT 2009

                    NCCC Sprint - May 22

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): .5

   80:  14     10
   40:  20     16
   20:  12     12
Total:  47     38  Total Score = 1,786

Some observations about tonight:

1. Really FUN (that doesn't change) !

2. The "feel" was quite different without the DUPES rule. It's not the same
contest and it really changes the strategy.

3. The hardest part for me tonight was not being able to jump into a QSO
without first dupe-checking the call. I almost felt like I was operating in
slow motion and wasn't getting anywhere even though I was.

4. I enjoy the strategy involved in trying to find the right mix of dupes and
mults. It's different every week.

5. Even with more stations on, there seemed to be less unbreakable "jump balls"
tonight with the NO DUPES rule. I lost less jump balls and worked more mults,
many not loud.  After calling CQ with DUPES, loud stations for the night
usually "take priority" which is often reciprocated a few Qs later. Knowing
when to respond to a loud dupe or when to wait and pick out that weak new mult
is also both a strategy and a skill.  With NO DUPES, you work more mults.  With
more players, this is good for score if you have propagation, but makes for a
really boring evening if you don't.

6. We had more new players on this evening, I suspect thanks to the exposure at
Dayton rather than the NO DUPES rule.  This was particularly noticeable in SNS
where I worked a new high of 17, all non-dupes. Some but not all followed us to
NS and perhaps more will in the future as they get comfortable in SNS.

7. With NO DUPES, my logging program finally gave me the correct score without
having to manually calculate it!

8. As I understand it, the original purpose of the DUPES rule was to speed up
the action when we had only a few participants.  With the obvious success of
NS, it's easy to see why changing the rule to NO DUPES is an option.  If that
change happens, I know there will be Thursday evenings when I'll remember the
NS with DUPES fondly as something really unique.

73, Bob, w0bh