[3830] WPX CW VA3DF SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun May 31 17:46:49 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VA3DF
Operator(s): VA3DF
Station: VA3DF

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I hate excuses but having said that here comes my tale of woe!

A couple of weeks ago, I was up the tower doing some odd jobs and noticed that
one of the rubber boots on my Steppir's reflector element had completely
deteriorated. This boot is what holds the pole to the motor housing unit and
with it gone the fiberglass pole had worked its way out of the housing and was
in danger of falling! I made arrangements to do the needed repair but as luck
would have it, WPX arrived before the repair could be done. The pole was
hanging on for dear life and I really didn't want to use the antenna because if
the pole falls with the metal tape inside it extended - there will likely be
further damage. I figured to just leave the beam alone and see what I could do
with wire antennas and maybe even do a single band on 40.

Things went well on Friday night but when 20 opened to EU on Saturday I was
tempted to use the beam for just a few qsos... I resisted for a while, but
eventually got frustrated missing out on needed qsos and mults so  I gave in to
temptation and used the beam sporadically. I tried to keep an eye on the
weather, as I figured a good storm would take down the pole so when the wind
got up I would qrt with the beam. Of course, along about 2300Z we had a major
thunder storm while I was using the beam to log EU stations. I had noticed the
increased wind and retracted the copper elements that travel in the pole when I
went qrt because of lightning. Went upstairs shortly afterwards for some
refreshments and took a look in the back yard - there was the pole - must have
fallen moments after I retracted the elements!So that was it for my contest,
how about yours?

Actually, I did continue to soldier on for the rest of Saturday (great evening
to be on 40) and went with backup wire antennas on Sunday for
20-15-10.Extremely unfortunate as I was ahead of last year's score when things
hit the fan! Anyways, I ended up with 618 K with one hand tied behind my back
vs. 696K last year thanks to some great luck on 40 m.

Hope everyone had a great time and that your antennas are all still in the
air!

As usual, it's a jungle out there when you run qrp!

73,
Doug
VA3DF