[3830] WPX CW W3EF SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun May 31 18:42:11 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W3EF
Operator(s): W3EF
Station: W3EF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was my first time in this contest.  Never really understood the attraction
of it before, but now it seems like real good fun.  Guess that means I've
finally become a contester first and a DXer second, instead of the other way
around.

I gave WPX a go at N1UR's suggestion.  He keeps beating me (and everyone else)
in ARRL DX CW, but he said we might be more evenly matched in this one than in
the DX contests where he has the better location.  I think he's probably right.
 What I didn't realize until yesterday is that Ed was already on a winning
streak in this contest, complete with fancy prefix call (NV1N).  Something for
me to think about for next time.

I had family obligations (including one, sadly, during what turned out to be
the 10 and 15 m runs on Saturday--runs which did not repeat on Sunday), so I
could only get in 29 hours in the chair.  That being the case, I resigned
myself to losing to Ed (as usual) but still set my sights on some audacious
goals -- 600 mults and 2 million points, and a top ten spot in SOABLP.

In the end, I easily cleared 700 mults and 3 million points, so I'm very happy
with my performance.  I was particularly pleased that I managed to average more
than 3 points per QSO, despite working about 1/3 W/VE. It only remains to see
how many of the experienced WPX LP crowd can best my 1st-time score so we can
see whether I make the top 5.

Thanks for all the Qs and good luck to all!

73,

Maury W3EF