[3830] SS CW N4KG SO Unlimited LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 8 19:06:30 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG + PACKET
Station: N4KG

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 9:04

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

I was going to pass this one up BUT, K4BAI had to issue a 'challenge' to the
SECC to beat those 'upstarts' in Alabama so that, and some 'gentle persuasion'
from some of the ACG members convinced me to 'play around' with my Icom 746PRO
DSP radio and at least attempt to make a Clean Sweep while exchanging reports
with familiar callsigns from Decades Ago.

I was struck by the number of Multipliers attributed to callsigns that were
issued to Other Areas than the one typically assigned to those multipliers.
This number came to 20 (25%), as follows:

W1 - ME..K8PO - WMA..K5ZD
W2 - WNY..W6XR
W3 - DE..K1PAD(+N8NA) - EPA..W8FJ
W4 - KY..W5MX - SC..K2SX - TN..N8UM
W5 - LA..N8OO - MS..N4OGW - NM..N2IC
W6 - EB..W4UAT - SV..W1RH
W7 - ID..K0TO - OR..K2PO/7 (the ONLY one to sign portable ;-)
W8 - OH..K1LT - WV..N4ZR
W9 - none !
W0 - MO..NG1O - ND..K7IV - NE..WW2Y

The Last Ten multipliers worked, in last=first order were

VO, MO, VE6, OR, OR, EWA, VE2, NE, SC, VE5, NFL

I heard Several MO stations, ALL doing S&P, moved up, CQ'd
and NG1O called in (but NOT the 'fish' I was trying to attract :-)

The 'move up and CQ' trick DID work with K2PO/7, thankfully.

Radio Icom 746PRO at 100W  (I'm beginning to like the DSP filters,
especially since I can set up ANY 3 Bandwidths at NO additional Cost).

Antennas
80M - Dipole aimed NE/SW at 130 ft, *Elevated GP (TH7 top-loading 40 ft tower)
40M - CC 2L40 stuck NE, *100' Center Fed at 80-90 ft aimed KL7/FLA
20M - *TH7 at 40', Dipole at 50' aimed VK3/XE2
15M - *TH7 at 40'

*Most Used Antenna/band - (100'CF Dipole worked weak VE8EW on 40M !)

Tom N4KG in North Alabama