[3830] SS CW K1LT Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 8 19:58:00 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The era of "all verticals, all the time" at K1LT might be nearing an
end.  I picked up a muddy Cushcraft A7 from a nearby MRRCer the
morning before the test.  Its in the garage, awaiting refurbishment
and a tower to put it on.  (Anyone have some 8 foot aluminum tower
sections to add to the pieces I already have?)

I started the contest with a migraine that got worse as the day
progressed.  After a nice early run on 80, I decided to lay down for a
few minutes, which sometimes knocks out the headache.  After 3 hours,
I got up, turned off the equipment and went to bed.

At sunrise, the headache was better but still there.  Nevertheless,
after 9 hours of sleep, I was ready to be up.  So I worked TX3C on 160
just before sunrise, amusingly on the second call after failing the
previous 3 mornings.

I resumed sweepstakes somewhat in earnest.  The fact that I worked
VE8EV the previous day gave me some hope of working a Sweep.
Eventually, I did.  NL was the last when I tripped over VO1HP on 80
near the end.

Couldn't quite make a 1000 QSOs.  I had to resume parental duty at
0100Z.

The headache eventually went away after one of the 40 meter runs.

Hope my health doesn't intrude any further into this contest season.