[3830] SS CW W1ECH Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 9 03:51:14 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W1ECH
Operator(s): W1ECH
Station: W1ECH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:  Vermont

Do others experience a special little smile, like I do, when they encounter
familiar calls that they may work just once a year -- in the c.w. Sweepstakes?

Conditions seemed excellent on 80, 40, and 20, with some stations on 15, too.
My all-band 80-meter half wave seemed to work especially well on 20, with a lot
of stations answering my CQ's -- a pleasant experience when you're running just
100 watts!

I was grateful to salt away VY1EI early on, but NL eluded me until early
afternoon on 20.  A couple of people said a NL station was hunting and calling,
so I CQed on 40 in the morning and then on 20 much of Sunday.  Early Sunday
afternoon, I suddenly had TWO guys reply to my CQSS on 20, about 5 contacts
apart!  K4XP/VO called first, and gave me #3!   Then VO1BQ called soon after
that and gave me #22!  Thanks to both of you for my sweep!  Found myself
feeling pretty tired, however, so I gave up when I got past the 100K mark a
short time later.

Thinking it made for sort of a historical shot, I sent a photo of my old 50th
SS anniversary (1983) Clean Sweep whisk broom and the 75th SS anniversary
(2008) whisk broom, surrounded by a colorful assortment of the mugs, to QST,
but they apparently weren't interested. Still think it's a pretty picture!

As always, thanks to all the other c.w. ops who helped make the c.w.
Sweepstakes the annual joyous "reunion" that it is!