[3830] SS CW KA3DRR Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 9 18:06:40 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KA3DRR
Operator(s): KA3DRR
Station: KA3DRR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA

Murphy handed my butt on a platter this weekend and I scratched for every Q in
the log. Competition for spectrum space was fierce on all bands and my first
hand learning experience stokes my motivation to improve signal quality. I
simply did not have enough 'signal punch' given the density of signals per
hertz.

Additionally, a first time RFI problem hit the television set, cross hatching,
and my goal is a near interference clean station as possible. I troubleshot for
a few hours on Saturday afternoon without resolution. However my RFI dilemma
spawned another solution. I deployed my 3-band trap vertical for operation on
20 and 15-meters while leaving the doublet for the low bands.

This approach worked to my satisfaction however competing on 20m especially
toward our eastern seaboard was problematic. I did not log a single east coast
station throughout the event. What does this mean for me? Improve my antenna
system going into next year.

Consequently, I had difficulties on 40, 20, and 15m while 80m in the early
hours of Sunday morning made a difference in Q-count and multiplier
acquisition. Furthermore, while looking at multiplier distribution, I noted 5,
6, 7, 8, 9, and one VE on the map. My signal did not compete as well given the
density of signals per hertz when compared against last year.

Every event is different and Sweepstakes really taught me the value of a
quality signal at low-power. Whatever happened there is only one solution that
is improve my antenna system for next year.

73
Scot, KA3DRR