[3830] SS CW K0DXC Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 9 20:57:52 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K0DXC
Operator(s): K0DXC
Station: K0DXC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Jackson, OH

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

RIG: IC-756PROIII
Antenna: 80M 1/2 wave Dipole @ 30'
Software: Win-Test V4.0.1

After getting home from WZ8P's station early on Sunday evening I decided to get
on for the last 2 hours of SS and be "FRESH MEAT!"

After quickly setting up a log I turned on the radio. I was about to go find a
frequency and call CQ but my radio defaulted on K1AR's current 40 meter
 run frequency so I decided to give him # 1. In my haste I forgot to set up my
F Keys / CW Macros so here is what the QSO kinda sounded like:

"TU K1AR"

"K0DXC" (+ pileup)

"K0DXC XXX X K1AR XX XX"

***Here's where things go wrong***

"K1AR OH"

Shoot! I hit insert and it sent the wrong exchange. Maybe if I hit it again
it'll fix itself...

"K1AR OH"

Maybe on the 3rd try?

"K1AR OH"

!!!!!

By now I felt like a total lid considering John had a few other stations
waiting and they were all listening to me make the same idiotic mistake over
and over again. I decided to hit the F2 key (EXCH ONLY) to see if that worked.
Guess what happened?

"K1AR OH"

Enough is enough. I reached over and sent him the CORRECT exchange with my
paddle. Computer couldn't screw that up!

I'm still wondering where the "OH" came from. When I created the log file WT
asked for my section, but it also asked for my CK and PWR so it SHOULD have
implemented that on it's own. Oh well, it only took 30 seconds to fix after I
finished the QSO with AR.

I think my station is better domestically on 80 meters, so I changed bands to
find a run frequency.

80 was jam packed but I still managed to squeeze in on 3526.3. Only two CQs
later I had a consistent pileup of between 2 and 4 stations calling in after
every TU. My key speed stayed at 40WPM for the first 80 QSOS and a few people
spotted me with comments like "SMOKEN', AT 40WPM!!!, SMOKING!" etc. Hey, I
think of it like this - there are two hours left until sweeps ends and if you
want to work new stations then I'll send as fast as I want! I always slowed
down when someone struggled copying the exchange or asked me to QRS.

I operated EXACTLY 2 hours. First hour was 105 Qs, second hour was only 74 Qs.
Because of the rate dropping I decided I wasn't going to operate the last 30
minute so I turned off the radio.

Operating SO1R in sweepstakes sucks. I REALLY could have used a second radio.

Anyways, there's more I'd like to say but it's late and I have school in the
morning.

In summary, THANK YOU to all the ops who called, and CONGRATS to all the FB
scores out there.

73,
Cal, K0DXC

http://k0dxc.com