[3830] SS SSB VE4EAR Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 22 19:38:28 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:

Wow, that was fun!!! A number of first for me, the biggest of which was actually
holding a 20m  frequency for over 5 hours and running at a rate of over 100 Q's
per hour. Nothing for the big guns out there but this little pistol feels pretty
exhausted after that.

80/40m were not in good shape Saturday night from here. I tried running but
with no success, endless CQ's without a single answer. Spent the night doing
S&P. Pulled the pin earlier than planned around 0600z as the rate was painfully
slow.

Started again at 1100z and the few statiosn I could hear were easlly worked. I
finally found a frequency and was able to actually run for about 3 hours, well
past my sunrise. I was getting concerned that I wouldnt find a spot on 20m
again but the rate meter was well over 100 and at time hit 200 so I couldn't
leave. Even managed to snag K0GF to grab the elusive ND mult that has eluded me
in the past SS.

Finally went to 20m and miraculously, found a frequency. The pileup started and
continued for over 5 hours. It was obvious when you were spotted on the clusters
as the pileup just mushroomed. The most annoying thing (pet peeve of the week)
is when the big guys park themselves right next to a rare multiplier. Obviously
hoping to feed off the pileup. A great strategy but I wish they would stay out
of the passband of the station they cozy up against. 250-500 Hz is not
sufficent guys! I am not sure how many times this happened.

Spending all the time running on Sunday, I was hoping that the much needed
mults of NL, NT would find me. Almost on cue, VO1KVT shows up with a great
signal for 79 followed by VE8GER for 80 and the sweep. Much appreciated guys!

Hopefully no one missed VE4 this time out. There were several of us on
including GF, GV, YU and JWJ I believe, there likely were others as well.

Hope to see the topband crowd in the 160 contest!

73  Ed
VE4EAR