[3830] SS SSB KC5R Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 22 19:49:11 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KC5R
Operator(s): KC5R
Station: KC5R

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: LA

I started out asking why am I doing this again this year. I used up my
"patience" allotment on Sat night and had to fight the urge to quit. It didn't
help that I gave up a party on Sat night and a game on Sunday to scream my head
off and get 3 hours of sleep while playing radio with 5 watts. In the end, with
the help of a few beers, I pushed through.

>From my end, things seemed rough this year, as 20/15 were packed a bit more
that usual. It was even tough to get a spot on 15 at times. Every time I'd get
a fairly clean frequency, someone inside my skip zone would get up on it, and
leave me with what little run I had managed to eek out(W5WMU, NR5M, K4RO..and
some others). I guess it's just an occupational hazard. I did find some spots
on 40, but it never seemed like I could be heard as well. Given the mults I had
a tough time with, my skip was a bit "off" on the low bands, making it less
productive for me. So I ended up S&P for probably all but about 120 QSOs, which
is why I'm about 70 QSOs behind where I was last year.

Managed to get the sweep in the log at 1658z with VO1HE. Got VE8EV in the 2nd
hour of the contest, along with VE4GV to ease my predicament. My last 5
sections were: EPA, ENY, IA, NLI, NL. I worked (2) or more of everything except
NNY, SNJ, OK, ND, NL, and NT.  I worked a plethora of VE5s (6). I also manged
(40) VA and (31) MDC mults - wow! PVRC must be "getting the vote" out.

Fell about 15 minutes short of 24 hours.

Well thanks to all who listened up...