[3830] SS SSB N4GG SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 23 06:11:29 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N4GG
Operator(s): N4GG
Station: N4GG

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 14:00

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Missed SS-CW, so felt like I needed to do SSB somewhat seriously, even though
its a less-favored mode here.  Also, the station is all high Q wire antennas
cut for CW, so the fully automated CW station kinda grinds to a halt on SSB as
the antenna tuners get manually cranked back and forth.  For added work, a
front with rain and wind came through during the evening.  The open wire
feeders need retuning as rain starts and stops, and wind causes the amps to
arc-fault when the feeders blow around in the woods.  Staying on the air was a
chore.

Part of the clan announced at the start of the contest they were coming early
for the holiday - Sunday afternoon.  That cut 24 hours to 14.  The plan became
work 80 sections, make 1000 Qs and get a good night's sleep.  All
accomplished.

80M was noisy due to the weather.  The Sunday-night run on 80 is always a lot
of fun - sorry I had to QRT early and miss it.  Happy with 1100 Qs given I was
coasting in fun mode.  There were a lot of checks of 00 and higher.  New blood
- GOOD!

There has never been a 15 or 10 antenna at N4GG since moving here in 2003, and
that's been okay with no sunspots - guess its time to move that project up the
list.  15 sounded good on the 80 meter vee.  80 was noisy due to the storm and
the West Coast was much weaker than usual on 80.  20 seemed to close early.  40
was the money band as usual.  The K9AY loop was a big improvement on RX over the
TX antennas, as usual.

The "protect the SSTV QRG at all costs" guys are worse on 40 than they are on
20.  I tried to talk them into becoming contesters for the weekend - they would
have none of it.

2X: FT-1000MP+INRAD+Mods, ACOM 2000A, TenTec 239B tuners (great tuners at
1.5KW)
WRITELOG, HB SO2R, Wires blowing around in the woods

73, Hal, N4GG