[3830] SS SSB N1LN SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 23 13:29:39 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This weekend I was once again reminded why I prefer CW to SSB contesting.   If
the following explanation sounds like the typical 75m GERITOL net, I pre
apologize.    The target Q count of between 1500 and 2000 quickly vanished.

Saturday afternoon I found out that it was my turn to come down with some type
of 'crud'.   In this specific example 'crud' will be defined as a very soar
throat with accompanying loss of voice,  stuffed up head and the occasional
cough.   With CW - no problem.... use my computer, keyer and paddle.  With SSB,
well - try to use the DVK as much as possible and operate for shorter periods of
time while relying on various decongestants, menthol cough drops, hot tea and
cold water.    Saturday night, after a painful 6.5 hours of operation I had to
shut down at 22:30 EST ( 03:30 UTC) which was 4 or more hours earlier than I
originally targeted.   I lost most of prime time 40 and 75 and many of the
missed Qs were never to return.   Sunday morning started bright and early at
10:00 UTC (5:00am local) and I lasted for about 2 hrs before my voice went out.
   The rest of the day was comprised of 1 hour here and parts of an hour there
that, when added, together totaled 14 hours of on-the-air time.   About 3 hrs
were search and pounce that did not help the Q count, but did help the
multiplier count and the voice.   I justified my U classification for two of
the 80 multipliers as both VE8EV and KP2M were cluster located and both Qs were
made on 15 meters.

I have read a couple other postings about operating within 2kcs of another
station and being asked to QSY.   This weekend my experiences with close
operating were mostly " no issue " as the K3s address that situation quite
well.   That is not true, however, when the interfering station has one of
those 5kc wide splatter signals and they are only 2kcs away.   There were MANY
of those on this weekend.    Another PLUS for CW contesting.

Thanks to all for the fills, the patience, the fun and most of all the
participation.    Due to family commitments CQWW-CW  will only be a casual
operation, but look for a multi-single entry in the upcoming ARRL and CQ 160 CW
tests.

73,
Bruce - N1LN
(aka: NC4KW)