[3830] SS SSB K0DU Multi-Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 23 16:05:16 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K0DU
Operator(s): K0DU K0CL
Station: K0DU

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Colorado

   40: 1033

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

First of all the station played very well,no glitches other than a few times RF
was getting in to the logging computer key board.It was our first contest with
the Flex 5000A.I was familiar with the radio but Larry struggled a little. I
was new to N1MM. A pile up 500 deep is not the time to learn a new logging
program. It's pretty bad when your telling every one to stand by while you fix
a screw up with the logging, not once but several times it happened to me.
Another time Larry was calling and calling and no one was coming back,some how
he was running split transmitting on 40 meters listening on 20.Larry made the
comment that we were rusty. NO KIDDING !!! Larry and I are usually pretty good
as a team but the beginning of this contest should have made funniest videos.
Well as time went on we settled in and picked up the rate. Fortunately Larry
never gives up he closed out with a great run on 40 meters. Two years off has
taken it's toll on me I can only hope I get back to where I was. The bands were
pretty good we had big pile ups but just couldn't get a respectable rate going.
As to the Flex Radio the verdict is still out, I personally like it but it may
not be the radio of choice for contesting.I feel a K3 in the works. I want to
thank Larry K0CL for coming over you can always depend on him. Thanks to all
that worked us. Happy Holidays.. Jerry K0DU