[3830] SS SSB N0JK Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 23 18:29:33 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N0JK
Operator(s): N0JK
Station: N0JK

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: KS

Total:  43  Sections = 20  Total Score = 860

Had to work both Saturday and Sunday - so no serious contest effort this year.
Had some time off Sunday afteroon, and went with my kids out to a friends farm
to do some trap clay shooting. I had along a little FT-817 radio, and a Radio
Shack CB mag. mount whip on the car. Added some wire to the end of the whip,
and it loaded up OK on 15M. Figured it might be good enough to make a Q or two.
To my surprise - it really got out!  Over the next hour and a half I made 43
QSOs, including some real DX like WP3R, AL1G and KH7XS. A number of stations
commented "great Q signal!" Even some short E-skip to NM, TX and CO. But the
comments that impressed me the most were:  "thank you for getting on and
helping out." While the numerous 200 - 300K scores and clean sweeps this year
get the attention - it is the casual ops and "Sunday Drivers" who make these
scores possible. This "Sunday Driver" was glad to help out.