[3830] SS SSB K7ZSD Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 24 23:39:42 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K7ZSD
Operator(s): K7ZSD
Station: K7ZSD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NW Oregon

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

This year I worked harder for less. I am talking about the contest. Last year I
had 1404 Qs, and this year 1165. Saturday night on 40m was horrible for low
power from the Pacific Northwest. I worked everyone first call, but nothing
when trying to run, I mean for hours. Last year I had 687 Qs on forty, this
year 398. I did get some runs in on 20, but 100 watts was a dim bulb on that
band, it just attracted bigger bulbs that needed my socket.

The broom stays in the closet this year, I worked an NL ten minutes before the
start of the contest on twenty, he called me, I knew he would be back, NOT. So
I get a really good run going right at the bell on 14312, I have 17 Qs in 11
minutes, I am on a roll with my own frequency with low power. Then N4TAT, not
in the contest, with amplifier, calls CQ for 2 minute intervals. When he lets
up for five seconds, I am working phantom calls, he CQs again for 2 minutes
with a monotonous voice, he lets up for five seconds, I am working phantom
calls at high rate. No way, this guy is a veteran contest jammer, knows all the
tricks. I go to 15m.

I did have fun though, especially on Sunday afternoon when I got a good run
going on 14230 for about 20 minutes, just on the edge of diddly diddly diddly,
then he sensed my presence and jumped square on top of me. Well, I went up to
233 where he came from, immediately got a three deep run going for several
minutes. He came back, diddly diddly diddly, so I went to 230 again for good
rate, 20 stations again. So this went back and forth for almost an hour until
he must have phoned a friend and they soon covered both bases. I had 70 Qs in
an hour. I was just trying to stay out of his way.

So much for low power, I have enough humility built up for awhile. Next year
will be different.

So many great operators out there, thank you for all the Qs. It was a pleasure
to work several young operators, and many new calls with 08 and 09 checks.
Contesting is alive and well. See you next year, Brad