[3830] SS SSB KT8K Single Op QRP

Tim Prosser timprosser at comcast.net
Fri Nov 27 07:48:05 PST 2009

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Ann Arbor, MI

------------
160: 0
80: 101
40: 123
20: 63
15: 32
10: 0
------------
Total: 319 Sections = 74 Total Score = 47,212

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Equipment: Orion at 5w, WGA TR-2000 w. noise cancelling dynamic mic
Antennas: 20/40/80 fan-inv vee at 60', 550+' horiz. loop at 20-70 ft, 10/15/20 trap dipole at 60', K9AY loop

If operating LP in SS SSB is like lying on a bed of nails, then operating QRP is the same, only with someone constantly beating you about the head with a rolled up newspaper. 20m was so crowded I almost quit several times. At least twice I went a half hour without a QSO - not for want of trying, I assure you.

Still, the bands were very good and my new WGA TR2000 headset (especially the microphone) was kicking butt. I got amazingly few requests for repeats and a lot of very nice compliments on my signal, when people could hear me. My new K9AY loop worked very well, and this time I could hear even MORE people who couldn't hear me! Thanks to all who listened hard for me and the other QRP ops. I am sad I couldn't crack the top 10 QRP this time <sob> and still no sweep for me <wahh!>. I heard all the mults except MS - where were they? In CW it was just SB I didn't hear ... Better luck next year, when maybe the sun will shine a bit more favorably on me (and the ionosphere). 73 & TU to all de kt8k - Tim