[3830] CQWW CW CE2/K0MD SOAB(A) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 29 16:54:22 PST 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: CE2/K0MD
Operator(s): K0MD
Station: K0MD

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Vina del Mar, Chile

   20:  126    22       26
   15:  251    17       28
   10:    8     5        4

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Location: Vina del Mar, Chile
Station: Icom 7000 + LDG AT 7000 tuner + Force 12 Sigma 40 xk Vertical dipole
Power: 50 - 100 watts

15 Meters to the rescue! Who would have thought that 15 meters would be my best
band? I had planned to do SoSB on 20 but it was not productive here on Saturday
so I switched to 10-20 for the contest. I operated the contest during a medical
meeting in Vina del Mar, Chile. I had limited time but was able to spend about 8
hours over the 48 operating between lectures, dinners and sightseeing!
The hotel was quite accomodating to let me put a F 12 Sigma 40 XK vertical
dipole on the roof and two maintenance men assembled it on the roof for me! The
trip this time was also to conduct a science fair experiment with my daughter
Ashley who will analyze the contacts and propgation against the prop tables
that Dean Straw and Carl Luetzelschwab gave us.

Things started rough here as the Power supply would not turn on, until I
discovered a faulty adapter that I brought from home. The antenna took some
negotiating to get erected and my computer would not key the rig via a Microham
Digi-keyer despite multiple configurations. So, I am glad I brought along the
trusty Bencher key! It was quite a zoo to use the rig's CW memories and
interject some CW from the paddles, all while typing.

The weather here is nothing short of spectacular! Sunny, 65-70 F, clear skies,
and typical outstanding Chilean cuisine all to distract the operator!

It was great to work many other SA stations including several Chilean stations
and Lars on Easter Island, who called me on 20 meters during the last hour of
the contest breaking a NA run pileup! Way to go Lars!!

I really enjoyed all of the MWA members and my friends from around the USA who
stopped by to say Hi! Thanks a lot!!

I learned how difficult it is for SA stations to be heard in NA or in Europe,
where the Yagis seem to be pointed to each other and not here! I enjoyed
hearing the time lag when African stations signed and NA stations called. SA
has a bit of advantage there but it did not help me much!!

I really enjoyed working my friends at B1Z - their antenna farm is tremendous
and they had a strong signal in Chile this time.

My daughter enjoyed watching me operate and will have great data to analyze for
her science fair project.

Here is a tip of my hat to all of the hams who have traveled far from home to
operate this contest! It is a lot of hard work! Kudos to you from CE2/K0MD